Monday, September 21, 2009

Exercise resistance

I am just coming up to catch my breath now as the beginning of the school year is always so crazy for me! Just finished writing my Fall Newsletter. The focus of this newsletter is exercise resistance and I know for most of us we either have it now or had it at some point in our lives. Since I am always most interested in why people do what they do, I decided to focus on ways to overcome your resistance as opposed to stating all of the well known reasons to exercise.

For me, my resistance was in the, "I don't have time and it would be too selfish of me to make the time" category. I was able to finally overcome this attitude by forcing myself to just start exercising. Once I actually started to exercise, I found out that my old perception was outdated and wrong. I found that I had more energy, so getting all the items on my "to do" list wasn't harder, but easier. I had to update my perception and since your body follows your mind- it goes to say that changing how you think will change what your body does.

For some of my clients, pain is what holds them back. The "my doctor says I can't exercise because of my knee pain" is a quote that I have heard a few times. It became so common that I actually discussed this with a physical therapist, do you want to know what he said? He said that working with a physical therapist can be the answer. Physical therapists not only help clients recover from injury, but they can also show clients flexibility and strength moves to prevent injury and pain- Duh!!

Other clients allow bad childhood memories to hold them back, and for these clients the act of forgiveness can be the answer. Forgiving the coach who said you were fat, forgiving your parents who forced you to run laps, forgiving the gym teacher who always picked you last for the teams. Forgive them and move on- literally.

Once you begin exercising not to lose weight, but because it makes you feel good and you are having fun doing it, you will have little to no resistance anymore. Try it out for yourself! By the way, if you are already exercising and it isn't any fun, then it's time to find a new routine.

Happy exercising!

No comments:

Post a Comment